If you are living in suburb areas or residential areas of your community then they are chances that you might have seen some lost dog wandering around the neighborhood. Stray dogs in Brazil have become very common these days. After seeing a stray dog you might first think that whom it belong to. You might want to return it to its owner but you hesitate from taking its responsibility. The best thing to do is to inform the animal control center. If the stray dogs which you notice are aggressive then you might do the following things:
1. You should never scream or run after being confronted with the threatening stray dog. You should rather stand in one place. If you run in front of aggressive dogs then there are chances that it can attack you. You should firmly stand in the ground and tell the dog to “go away” or “go home” in a calm voice.
2. You should never look directly in to the eyes of the dogs as the dogs interpret it as a challenge. If the dog makes a move toward you then you should keep the dog in your peripheral vision.
3. You should seem to be relaxed even if your heart is beating at a fast rate because the dogs are able to sense fear.
4. If you see the dog is going back then you should too start going back slowly but you should keep glancing at the move of the dog. If you notice that the dog is coming towards you again then you should stop and wait for some time until the dog start moving again.
5. If you are on a bicycle then you should dismount and stand with your bicycle between the dog and you. You should never try to run away from the dog on your bicycle because the dogs run faster than you are able to pedal your bicycle and it love to chase things that are moving. If you dismount your bike then hopefully it will lose interest as it does not have anything to chase.
6. To avoid getting bitten by a dog you should avoid to pet the stray dog or attempt to pet a dog that is either eating or sleeping.
7. If you are walking down the road and if a stray dog approaches you and start barking after seeing you then you should not turn your back on him.
8. If a stray dog comes near you and it is not aggressive then you should let it sniff you. You should avoid making any fast movements because the dog might interpret it as threatening. Most of the time the dog will just move on after it realizes that you are not a threat to him.
9. If you are being attacked by the stray dogs in Brazil then you should throw something on them like your purse or coat or whatever you are carrying with you at that time as it will distract him for a while and you can quickly get inside your car or get on the top of your parked car or get inside any nearby store.